It’s a familiar story and it usually goes like this: Isopure Zero Carb is an “all-natural” whey protein powder that helps you build muscle, lose weight and acts as an anti-oxidant to prevent chronic diseases.
According to the maker, this product is able to cure, prevent, reverse or dissolve any type of disease you can imagine. It’s both a cure-all and health maintenance supplement that every body builder, dieter and health enthusiast should be taking daily. Beyond that, because it is whey, it is carb and lactose free!
Must be good for you right?
After all, Isopure Zero Carb whey protein powder has more than 27 vitamins and minerals that your body needs. Sound good? Maybe.
If you live on an island without access to a solid variety of food that contains protein, vitamin E, calcium, niacin, sodium or copper, then you may benefit from the high levels of these supplements that come with the package.
However, if you live in an average town or city where there are grocery stores and a fairly good variety of foods to choose from, then you might be surprised to find it can cause a lot of health problems that may not be fixed … ever.
Top 5 Side Effects
- The one thing that many people never tell you – if they even know about it – is that all of the Isopure products tested in the Consumer Reports lab were found to have elevated levels of arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury as part of the ‘natural’ All of these metals are dangerous to your health and will kill you or damage body parts for the rest of your life.
- Cadmium, for example, destroys your kidneys
- Lead hangs out in the brain and has the same effect as steroids – it generates aggressive behavior and makes you think it’s o.k.
- Mercury damages liver, brain and tissues permanently and there is no reversal
- Arsenic – even in tiny quantities – taken daily builds up in your body and is a poison that will eventually cause death (Ask any murder mystery fan!)
- According to the American Medical Association and researchers that have done extensive research on this particular product, it can be the worst thing to put in your mouth for several reasons!
- Globus Pharynges– this is often described as a sensation that you have lumps in your throat. Now, while that doesn’t sound bad, it happens usually because your throat muscles are having spasms. This is actually a disorder that is harmless but is annoying and causes distraction. It can be treated with prescriptive medicines but you will need to stop taking the Isopure first. It only gets worse.
- “More” is Not Better when it comes to protein, Vitamin E, Calcium
- Isopure protein powders (all varieties) contain anywhere from 30 to 53 grams of protein per 86 gram serving (one spoonful) – the daily requirement for active men is approximately 60 grams per day and for active women, 50 grams per day.
- Each spoonful contains 323 to 520 milligrams of sodium – just one serving per day is 25% of your maximum daily needs to keep the body and brain working – even if you are working out
- Vitamin E is a natural blood thinner (contrary to the claims that it diminishes wrinkles!) – Isopure contains 50% of your maximum limit in each serving – add to that the amount that you get eating normal food, and you could discover that you bleed excessively when you get a small cut
- Of all the nutrients in Isopure powder, you’d think that Calcium would be the one to cause the least problems since every year someone spurns us to double up our calcium to prevent colds. Wrong! Unless you like nausea, constipation, muscle weakness (when your muscles feel like jelly), depression and pain in your joints or bones. One serving of Isopure exceeds the double amount of calcium your body can digest.
- General aches and pains
- Bloating, cramping, headaches and general fatigue are very common side effects that may indicate you are taking too much or using Isopure too often
- Your body can only use so much protein per day no matter how much you exercise! When you put more than the daily amount needed into your body in one sitting, your body cannot get rid of it. So, what does it do? It sends as much as it can to your kidneys to be flushed out and the rest is stored as fat in your muscles. Fat does not ever turn into muscle or muscle into fat, just so you know. As a result, your kidneys can be affected and you can expect to gain weight. (So much for the idea that you will lose weight by taking a supplement.)
But wait – there’s more! According to the FDA, Isopure’s whey protein isolate is a chemically produced food additive resembling whey concentrate protein.
The Good News is that There are Benefits, Too!
Whew! After all the discussion of the side effects, you’d think the best thing to do is toss it in the garbage or outlaw it. But, don’t be in such a hurry.
It’s all a matter of proper usage.
Not everyone needs or should even use whey protein. Surprisingly enough, there are more people in the U.S. that do need a protein boost to either become healthy or to maintain a healthy body.
- The simple truth is Isopure taken once a day only is suspected of having a positive effect on the immune system. Some of the known issues that it is effective in preventing or reversing are eczema and positive signs are recently being documented in helping with psoriasis, as well.
- HIV aids patients are recommended to take whey protein to decrease weight loss and increase muscle mass if they combine it with resistance exercise.
- Asthma onset by exercise can benefit by taking whey protein for 10 days. Early indications are that it diminishes the allergic reaction in the lungs but it doesn’t work for children and will not cure asthma.
- Some cancerous tumors have been shown to reduce in size when Isopure protein
So what does all this mean?
In short, it means that if you are not able to eat a balanced diet, have allergies or need to gain weight in order to gain muscle mass (because you can’t do one without the other), then, Isopure Zero Carb may be the supplement for you.
**As a note: Whey protein is a by-product of milk, so do not take it if you are allergic to milk or lactose intolerant.